So, I’m a sucker for the weather channel – who wouldn’t be? It’s great with all those maps and their squiggly lines and big arrows and clouds – it’s oh so exciting. Imagine my excitement Sunday morning when I had the channel on and good old Kingston was noted as having set a record Saturday! We got the most snow anywhere in Canada – a whopping 19 cm! (7.6 inches for you imperial people out there). And on Sunday morning, bright and early, we were actually colder than Yellowknife, NT, with a wind chill of -34°C, yes you read that right. Needless to say it was COLD out there, not just cold, but COLD. They were calling for -40°C Sunday night with the wind chill.
On Saturday night I got home from working a shift at Shoppers (as a relief person for them), I had the joy of shoveling the driveway – something I don’t really mind, but I tell you, Foxy must have made a pact with God because it seems that every time it snows, he’s at work, so I end up shoveling the driveway – he tells me to wait for him, but I’m not going to make him shovel after working a 12-hour shift. In any event, the snow drifts were insane and it probably took me almost an hour and a half to shovel it all out – and it was so windy that nearly every shovelful I threw, I got back a third of it. Grrr… Normally I love the double-wide driveway, but when it’s snowy and windy, I could care less. We now have something of a snow fort on either side of our driveway because the snow banks are getting so high! I do love the snow for making everything look cleaner and brighter though – it’s so…wintery. There is a certain camaraderie in the neighbourhood when everyone is out shoveling, as you can yell across the road about how much snow we got and how it sucks to have to shovel and we all can commiserate with each other.
On Saturday night I got home from working a shift at Shoppers (as a relief person for them), I had the joy of shoveling the driveway – something I don’t really mind, but I tell you, Foxy must have made a pact with God because it seems that every time it snows, he’s at work, so I end up shoveling the driveway – he tells me to wait for him, but I’m not going to make him shovel after working a 12-hour shift. In any event, the snow drifts were insane and it probably took me almost an hour and a half to shovel it all out – and it was so windy that nearly every shovelful I threw, I got back a third of it. Grrr… Normally I love the double-wide driveway, but when it’s snowy and windy, I could care less. We now have something of a snow fort on either side of our driveway because the snow banks are getting so high! I do love the snow for making everything look cleaner and brighter though – it’s so…wintery. There is a certain camaraderie in the neighbourhood when everyone is out shoveling, as you can yell across the road about how much snow we got and how it sucks to have to shovel and we all can commiserate with each other.
Oh the joys of living in Canada I suppose...
5 comments:
It is about time! For most of the winter we had your weather and you had ours! I am soooooo sick of snow and cold!
Apparently we're supposed to expect worse winters every year from now on - damn global warming! How is it out there now?
We have been sitting between 0 and +2-ish for the last couple of days. Overcast and rainy...feels like Vancouver weather.
Blech - I'd much rather have the bitter cold and sun than rainy and overcast...too depressing.
Yeah, the crappy thing about the Okanagan in the winter is that it is always overcast. So I guess I would rather wet and overcast than freeze your butt off and overcast...easier to get out with the little ones!
Post a Comment