Thursday, September 21, 2006

Now that I've regained my composure...

MOM IS COMING TO VISIT! WOO-HOO! Yep, you read that right. The power of blogging prevails yet again - ha ha ha! Somehow, I think that her visit has more to do with the incessant phone calls that began by me saying, "When are you coming?", before I'd even said hi, but I'm going to give some credit to my blog. So yeah, she's coming! Yea!

Just one random thing today. Coffee geography. This is a term that I'm going to use to refer to the variation in coffee preferences in this country. I'm originally from BC, which I'm now going to call "Starbucksland", seeing as how Starbucks are the coffee venue of choice for most of BC's coffee drinkers. Does this mean that BC "caffeine-a-holics" are pretentious? Some would argue yes, but I think it has more to do with the fact that BC was fortunate/unfortunate (depending on how you view it) enough to be living close to Washington State, where Starbucks was founded and other establishments have yet to venture into the dominant territory. In any event, as we move east from "Starbucksland", you'll crash head first into "TimHortonikstan", the vast empire controlled by Tim Hortons. In my city alone, there are 15 Tim Hortons (and our population is approximately 150,000), compared to 3 Starbucks and 1 Second Cup. Explanation? Ontario is too busy and too cheap to wait in line inside a cafe to pay $6.99 for a latte and a cookie, when they can zoom though a drive thru, pay $2.99 for a "cappiccino" (that's in quotes because it's not really cappiccino) and 2 cookies or a donut. Granted, the quality of Tim Hortons and Starbucks cannot really be compared - it'd be like trying to compare Wal-Mart and The Bay (both stores have the things that you want, but you pay more for stuff at The Bay because it's better quality (this too can be argued, I suppose...)) - so maybe that means that the people of "TimHortonikstan" are more concerned with speed rather than taste? I'm one of many people who LOVE Tim Horton's coffee - when it's good... and absolutely HATE it when it's not. The only thing I can say for Starbucks is that I've never had a bad coffee beverage (because I never just order coffee) so that gives it higher marks in my books, however, because I like to get where I'm going without having to leave too early - it's Timmy's for me, and if the coffee sucks, oh well, it only cost me $1.35.

Can you tell I haven't had my coffee yet?

5 comments:

Darcy said...

I have to agree with you, Tim Horton's coffee is better than Starbucks, and the price is nicer too! The only time I go to Starbucks is when I want something a little jazzier than coffee... say a Venti White Chocolate Mocha, hold the whipped cream... or a Frappacino, cause those are still better than Iced Caps...

Jen said...

LOL - if I'm at Starbucks, it's a grande, non-fat, sugar-free vanilla latte, if it's Second Cup, it's a grande, non-fat Caramel Coretto, and at Timmy's it's a large double double.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm a West-Coast girl, and so it's gotta be Starbucks for me! When i go for coffee, a big part of the experience is the atmosphere - and the plastic seats in TimmyHo's just don't do it for me! I think people stop into Tim's to grab a drink on the run, whereas people go to Starbucks to sit down and linger over their drinks, or perhaps socialize. Starbucks allows me to pretend that I am High Class - drinking my 5 dollar coffee whilst sitting in a plush chair and listening to piped in jazz music overhead. I will add that after paying 5 dollars for said coffee, I am much less likely to buy something else to eat, whereas the danger of TimmyHo's is that I may be tempted to use my extra change to buy some PURE EVIL in doughnut form. (Let's face it, it's pretty hard to resist the lure of Doughnut-Scent...)As for the actual coffee, the straight black stuff is pretty gross at either place - way too strong at 'Bucks, and often tasteless at Tim's. I do however love Tim's mocha, even though I know it comes from a powder. Starbucks is ridiculously inconsistant when it comes to their mocha's...< sigh > Course, I would take either of them right now.... :( Stupid village in Japan!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope that you and your mom have a great visit, btw. (*^_^*) v

Sarah said...

Do I lose cool point for not being a coffee drinker? It seems like an addiction that a sleep deprived mother of three boys, under the age of four should have. Maybe tomorrow morning I will give it a shot...or HAVE a shot! Now that also seems like a reasonable addiction for a person in my position ;)....Naaaa, I think I will stick with my tea! Steeped double double at Timmy Ho's and chai latte at Starbucks! (hot or iced/blended). Mmmm...so good!!